The market of smart watches is developing stronger. Now their choice is a serious problem, to decide which our material will help.
If the first smart watches were practically stupid, now these gadgets are capable of much. Also now they are very different from each other. In this regard, many people do not understand what smart watches choose. In this article we will try to give you to understand what exactly different smart hours are different. After that, you can easily pick themselves a suitable model.
mechanics or electronics?
First of all, you need to decide whether you need a multifunctional device. If you need only alert about calls and messages entering your smartphone, you can think about buying a mechanical clock. The fact is that some companies are implementing similar functions into their devices. Such models have two indisputable advantages:
- Excellent appearance - from ordinary mechanical clocks such gadgets do not differ practically;
- For a long time of work - hours you only need to regularly be able to regularly, well, the electronic part works many months from the battery.
As deficiencies, only a high cost and lack of intelligent functional can be considered. If it does not suit you, then you need to choose smart hours that display information on the LCD display. To a certain extent, they can be made similar to mechanical fellow. But the aesthetes will still say that in such clock there is no soul.
One of the important points of selection of smart clock is an operating system. Many users do not think about it, but it affects not only the functionality (for example, it is possible or cannot be installed applications), but also on the autonomous work. Today, operating systems used in smart clock are:
- Closed OS - Used from many companies from little-known brands to advanced Amazfit, Huawei, Honor and others. They are characterized by the fact that it is impossible to put applications on them (maximum can be changed dials) - you will have to be content with the available functionality (as a rule, it is enough). Clock with similar OSs usually work with iOS and Android, this requires installing a branded application.
- WEAROS - operating system from Google, it was created specifically for smart watches. For it, there are quite a few applications, there are good customization capabilities, and devices on this OS are compatible with gadgets for Android and iOS, but with the latter part of the functions may not work.
- TIZEN - SAMSUNG's own system. It has a good functionality, its own application store, wide caustomization opportunities, compatible with Android and iOS, but when used with iPhone, the functionality is strongly limited, and it is impossible to install paid applications from the store.
- Watchos is an Apple system, the clock with it can only work with the technique of this brand. Offers many opportunities, there is an application store.
Thus, operating systems in the clock are represented by several options that can be consecrated into two groups - it is possible to install applications or not. Practice shows that in most cases it is not a necessity, since already from the box many models offer everything you need for the user.
Smart clock - this is not least for many users Fashion accessory, not just a smart device. Based on this, it will be logical to evaluate them not only on functionality, but also appearance and used when creating materials. The selection today is often reduced to the following options:
- Stainless steel.
Plastic - this is the lot of cheap models and the minuses are obvious here. They look more often inexpensive, they are not the best strength. Aluminum is the next stage, it costs it more expensive, but it looks good, and even stronger. Stainless steel and Titanium can be attributed to premium materials. In appearance, they can not always be distinguished from aluminum, but from the point of the strength is better.
The material used directly affects the cost of hours - it is not by chance that some brands offer an aluminum case in basic models, and stainless steel and titanium in high-class hours. At the same time, the price difference may differ several times, and the functionality remains the same.
In most cases, the straps -cakes replaceable, so someone may seem that this is not the most important moment when choosing. However, during the purchase, it is worth thinking about what they will be used and based on this pick up the straps included:
- Silicone - the most budget version. It is suitable for a sports model, but not very logical for office style or hiking to secular events.
- Leather - Material that is perfect for everyday use, it looks presentable and stylish. However, for those who are planning to actively play sports or walk with a clock in the pool - this is not the best choice.
- Metal - it looks stylish, it is usually more expensive, but again for sports this option is the last one.
Buying interchangeable belts should not save and give preference to the fiscal options. It is not a fact that they are made of high-quality hypoallergenic materials, which means the savings can pour out large waste to eliminate the consequences of allergies.
The display occupies a large surface of the device, and You will interact most often with him. The form of the display is a question of personal preferences, so here to make recommendations meaninglessly, but the type of screen is an important question.
First, it may be black and white or color. The first option is not the most convenient for interaction, but it allows you to save the battery. Colored matrices are represented by budget TFT, an average segment IPS and expensive amoled.
To consider TFT should not be - they even cheap, but readability of pictures in the sun and the color rendition here are left to desire the best. IPS - This is a good compromise between price and image quality, many manufacturers make a number of improvements, which reduces the amount of glare and allows you to use the picture under direct sunlight well without damage to autonomy. However, the best choice is AMOLED matrices that demonstrate excellent color reproduction, high brightness and have AlwaysOn mode.
Regarding AlwaySon mode, it is worth noting that it is increasingly implemented in the clock with IPS matrices. If you doubt what it is needed, then think about the convenience of using it without it. If the screen goes out to save the battery, it is easy to find out the time, you will have to spend a few seconds to turn it on.
Most smart clocks have sensory control and several buttons that perform a number of functions (often actions on them can be assigned independently). In expensive devices, manufacturers make a swivel bezel, which takes part of the management tasks. It is very convenient, but it is impossible to name the necessary option.
Does GPS need in smart clock? The answer to the question should be sought in how you will use them. If the main task is to measure the pulse, sleep control, notifications from applications and similar functions, then the GPS module is not needed. For those who first will use the gadget in training it is necessary. Without this module, a smartphone will have to be used to track the distance or construct routes, while the clock with it must be synchronized. It is inconvenient and strongly affects autonomy.
In addition, the GPS module is mandatory in children's smart watches, because they do not last buy them in order to be able to control the movement of the child. Make it full without GPS is impossible.
speaker, microphone and SIM card
those users who buy their first smart hours often think that the presence of a microphone Maps and dynamics are a cool option, because you can talk using a disservice without a smartphone. In fact, it is convenient only if there is no one around anyone or urgently answer the call, and the phone has long to get it or stayed in another room.
Supporting the SIM card on one side eliminates the need to carry a mobile phone with them, since the Internet connection will allow you to receive notifications, but again, rely on that you will use smart watches instead of phone for calls Not worth it, and it will also negatively affect the offline work.
The functions of smart watches can be divided into several categories:
- Fitness - here can be attributed to the counting of steps, measurement pressure, pulse, sleep control, reminders of the need to move.
- Smart features - this is receiving notifications from applications, the ability to respond (reset) incoming calls, set alarm clock, turn on the chamber, control the player and similar options.
- Sport - This includes directly modes for training.
When buying, you need to immediately think about whether you need sports functions or not. It is important to distinguish the fitness functionality and sports. If you just want to have an idea of your health, then we have no sense to pay for numerous modes of training. If you really do sports, then it is worth orienting for hours not with sports capabilities, but directly to sports models. Often they are more expensive and have a specific focus, for example, for running, swimming or other sports, but at the same time only such devices are guaranteed to satisfy your requests.
Any smart watches are equipped with those or other sensors. Let's consider the most popular of them:
- The illumination sensor - allows the operating system to automatically adjust the brightness of the screen backlight. Its presence has a positive effect on battery life.
- Accelerometer - fixes the movement of the device in space. Usually, it is its capabilities that are used to implement a pedometer and automatically turn on the screen at the moment when you raised your hand.
- Altimeter - determines your height above sea level. Such a sensor mainly use travelers.
- Barometer - with a certain probability predicts weather (mainly it predicts the appearance of precipitation). It also allows you to find out the current pressure.
- Pulsometer - determines the frequency of heart abbreviations. Usually, it is included for saving battery only under specific circumstances. But on some smart hours, it works in constant mode (this is separately indicated in characteristics).
- Digital compass - a good thing for those who are going to regularly run the application "Maps" on the clock.
- NFC - With it, you can make purchases. Today it can be attributed to the necessary modules both in the clock and in the smartphone.
Time of autonomous work
This important parameter depends on the set of factors - on the type of the installed display to the used OS. As a rule, WearOS, Tizen and WatchOS cannot provide a long operating time, for closed operating systems this indicator is many times better - some watches can work without recharging for several weeks.
Only the maximum operating time is written in the characteristics - usually, to achieve it, it is necessary to turn off almost all sensors and not use the watch at all for its intended purpose. To get more truthful and useful information, it is better to read reviews and reviews - they contain more accurate information.
Smartwatches differ in their charging method. Some use a cradle, others have a traditional microUSB connector and still others have wireless charging.
Degree of protection
While wearing a smart watch, you can easily get caught in the rain. If the device does not have at least minimal protection against moisture, then it will quickly fail.
At the same time, it can be represented by IP standards, which, even in the case of the maximum level, does not promise safety when immersed in water. If you plan to swim at all, then pay attention to the ATM marking, for example, 5 ATM means that you can dive with a watch to a depth of 5 meters.
An important point! Regardless of the level of moisture protection or water resistance, it is worth looking for more information about the conditions under which these standards are met in a given model. For example, it may turn out that the watch is not afraid of immersion in fresh water, but is not designed for salt water, which means that swimming with it in the sea is prohibited.
So now you know all the nuances to consider when choosing a smartwatch. Do not think that good models are necessarily expensive and have an operating system with the ability to install applications. As practice shows, for most users, the options that are already in the watch are enough. If you are not a fan of sports, then you should not consider specialized models, and those who choose watches for training, on the contrary, should not save money.
Tell us about your experience of using such devices, what parameters do you consider the most important and which brands of devices, in your opinion, deserve attention.